They say all good things must come to an end and sadly my time in Gloucestershire Road Safety Partnership has done just that.
It has been an extremely tough decision but one that had to be made, deep down I believe it is the right decision for me however putting myself first is not something I am very good at hence it being such a difficult decision.
But its not all negative!
Since Sept 2009 we have achieved a huge amount having engaged with many thousands of riders and drivers reaching over 1 million people each year through social media.
Some of the initiatives launched were;
- Continued and expanded the ‘Think Bike’ signage campaign.
- Launched an award winning ‘Invisibles’ campaign joining forces with cycling to raise awareness of the ‘Failed to Look’ issue.
- Educated drivers helping them understand the issue of ‘Failed to Look’
- Launched Biker Down Gloucestershire
- Helped hundreds of young and new riders make good choices as they venture onto two wheels.
- Supported and promoted Bikesafe.
- Joined forces with the County’s Advanced Motorcycle group to offer technical skills days.
- Launched Max Rider.
- In partnership with Castle Combe circuit, West of England & Somerset Road Safety to offer Rider Performance Days.
- Produced an education package for young riders caught riding anti-socially as an alternative to prosecution (Op-Throttle)
- Not forgetting the events attending offering advice to riders and drivers.
Behind the scenes I have also;
- Sat on the ACPO (NPCC) review panel for their national motorcycle safety strategy.
- Been the riders voice within the Partnership, Highways, GCC, local town & district councils, I would still be a minority voice but an essential voice just the same.
- Had I remained in this role I had been requested to sit on two national motorcycle safety forums, one within the Dft and the other within the National Roads Policing Intelligence Forum NRPIF.
The future of Motorcycle Safety in the County is a subject for the Partnership but at this time I cannot say what that will look like.
At the beginning I said ‘we’ have achieved, that’s because I have not worked alone and would never have achieved so much without the support of;
- Rossy aka Rossy Glospolbiker (pic right) if you don’t know him, look him up on FB and Twitter.
- Graham (pic left) GFRS Watch Manager and general nice guy.
- And not forgetting the team which has changed over time but do go and meet them here Meet The Team
- The team at SkillZONE
- The list would go on forever with Police and Fire offering huge support.
- Local businesses such as Glos bike specialist, Frasers and Thunder Road.
- And then there is YOU, yes without YOU the riders and road users of Gloucestershire we would not have achieved what we have achieved.
It has been great being part of the local biking community although in recent years I have not had as much time as I would have liked to come out and join you at Biker Nights etc.
I am a biker at heart and motorcycling will go back to a leisure activity, this might mean some of you will see more of me, I may also continue with social media sharing my knowledge, experience and advice amongst the biking community.
So thank you everyone.
Chris . 😎